"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these."
~George Washington Carver~
Below I have a slideshow displaying pictures of Pokey Pets and other related things along with a link showing the instructions document to make a Pokey Pet. These posts sometimes do not show up with certain web browsers like internet explorer. I have, however, discovered that they are visible with google chrome. Enjoy!

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Introduction to Pokey Pets!

When I was six years old I was diagnosed with a rare kidney disease called MPGN MPGN. While the doctors were figuring out what exactly I had and how to treat it, I had to endure several kidney biopsies and unpleasant hospital stays. That's not something a little girl really wants to have happen to her. One thing that did make my hospital stays a bit more bearable was an IV cover.It wrapped around the site of the IV and on top there was a pouch holding a friendly stuffed animal. This cute, friendly IV cover made me feel normal and happy despite the fact that I was being poked and prodded by needles. Earlier this year, I had the idea to make more of these IVcovers and donate them to the hospital just like someone else did for me. I want to provide other little children, who are enduring scary and unpleasant things, to have that same little bit of comfort next to them when things may get a bit uncomfortable at the hospital and they need a little friend with them. I figured out an easy way to make them and plan on calling these friendly IV covers "Pokey Pets"!

No comments:

Post a Comment